End of the Double-Queen Experiment

It was an intriguing idea: two queens, each confined to their own side of a hive, with the workers from both working cooperatively in brood care and honey production. And I think it still has potential. But there are some problems.

IMG_4242

1. The Hardware

Having all that wood pressed up close trapped moisture, which damaged the hive ware. One box developed a crack in a knot, another developed a slight bow along the top edge. The closeness also provided a perfect place for tiny black ants to trap dirt and start a little home.

I had difficulty getting both sides to be even, in fact they never did line up along the top edges just right. And the queen excluder was a bit wider than the super above it, which meant the migratory covers covering half of each side didn’t fit tightly against the super. I tried filling the space with weather stripping, but it didn’t take long for the bees to chew it away.

2. Inspections

Every inspection was a big disruption to both sides. It took some quick moving to get the side I didn’t want to inspect completely covered so that side’s queen couldn’t wander over to the other side. But a second migratory cover was too wide to cover the space, so I had to cut a piece of scrap wood.

IMG_4306

The challenge of inspecting would be perfectly tolerable if both sides were calm. One side is quite calm. The other side is not. I dreaded having to go into their side, which meant I dreaded inspecting any of it at all. I’m keeping bees because I enjoy it. And when I don’t enjoy it, it becomes a chore, a task, something I want to avoid. So it was time to change that.


I’m not saying I won’t try this experiment again. I think I would enjoy it if both sides were calm. But the hardware issue needs to be examined before I use this setup again. The original double-queen hive involves a brood chamber at the bottom and another at the top with the shared supers between them and two queen excluders to confine the queens top and bottom. An upper entrance would certainly be required, otherwise the drones would be trapped and the workers unable to remove them when they died.

20160429_143148108_iOS

For now, the two hives have been separated. I will requeen the more defensive side in a couple of weeks.

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

2 responses to “End of the Double-Queen Experiment

  1. How is it going with your Flow Hive frames? Our nectar flow at my apiary in NC foothills has only been on for a week and my stronger hive is busy producing honey for cut comb production. Our flow hive deep is on our second strongest hive, and they are about a week behind so expect to see some honey stores going in outside of the brood deeps. To date not much happening in our Flow Hives other than they cleaned up the sugar syrup I sprayed on them. I have a super of foundationless frames above the deeps and then the flow hive. I did have a queen excluder on but removed it last weekend since they had built a lot of burr comb on it. Might put it back in a week or two.

    • Well, they filled in all the seams almost right away, but I’ve not seen a drop of nectar stored yet. Every time I look there are bees with their heads down in the cells, but that’s it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s