We’ve waited two weeks for the brood in the honey super to hatch and this morning we did a check of the frames with capped brood. It’s all been filled in with lovely, dark honey, and much of it has been capped, which means they plan to store it for winter rather than use it right away. That’s good because it means they have plenty for immediate use as well.
The bees had built a section of comb connecting two frames, which I removed during out last inspection. To make sure I know who’s really in charge of the hive, they have not only rebuilt the comb connecting the frames, but also added serpentine-shaped comb between the bottoms of the frames and the queen excluder. Hial reminded me that my sense of order is not the same as their sense of order.
Before I can inspect the brood chamber again, I’ll have to scrape all that crazy comb off the queen excluder. I guess I’ll also need to make sure they put so much comb there that it blocks access between the boxes.
Since they have filled the first honey super already, we added a second super today. Our hive is growing beautifully for it’s first year. The weather conditions were perfect this year for starting a hive. We added the first honey super on June 20 and they built all the comb and filled it in about two months. We’ll see if they manage to fill the new super by the end of summer.